While watching the Amazing Spider-man last weekend, I was waiting for the line, “With great power, comes great responsibility.”
Instead, the movie surprised me with the way doomed Ben Parker delivered it:
If you have the ability to do some good in this world, you have a moral obligation to do so.
It may not have been as iconic as the original line, but this quote made me pause and think.
We may not all be blessed with the proportionate strength of a spider, but don’t we all possess a superpower, or two or even three?
- The power to lead other people
- The power to create amazing things on the canvass or on the computer
- The power to write compelling literature
- The power to imagine possibilities
- The power to motivate others
- The power to interpret complex data and use it to predict
- The power to sell to other people
- The power to explain sophisticated ideas simply
- The power to create true fun
- The power to empathize with and comfort others
- The power of wisdom
- The power of creating a great customer experience
- The power of eloquence
- The power to create efficient systems
- The power of grace under pressure
I’d like to think these powers were given to us for far greater things than selling soap or being a slightly useful cog in the machine.