Last week, we held our very first Thursdays Unplugged in the STORM office in Ortigas.
I was with John, Gelo, and Ethel. We were supposed to be 5 people but the last participant couldn’t make it at the last minute. In retrospect, it was better suited for 4 people – more on this later.
So what happened?
I had no idea what was going to happen, so it was a bit awkward to start – it seemed too intimate at first. Then I laid the rules – 15 minutes per person, with an ideal 5-minute pitch, and then everyone can supply ideas and advice.
And just like that, we started.
It was pretty cool. Everyone had a very different idea, with each at different stages of the startup process. One was entirely in the idea stage, one had its initial meeting with a potential client scheduled in a few days, and one idea was already contracting employees. I cannot disclose the ideas thrown in the meeting – but it was a fun discussion.
Again, Fate intervened a bit because one person’s other business was in the same value chain as one of the ideas presented – so there was a lot of very concrete advice rendered.
Of course, the discussions went far beyond 15 minutes per person. I guess this was natural, because the startup ideas represented true passions of these individuals. Also, everyone else was eager to help out and suggest stuff, which was pretty nice. I was reminded a bit of the spirit of JGL’s Open Coffee.
What could be improved?
Some adjustments have to made for this week’s version though:
1) 5 people in the room would have pushed the meeting to 8pm. Last Thursday, we ended at around 7:00 pm already, and I barely made it to dinner. With some rules, I think this could be managed though. This Thursday, we’ll limit the participants to 3.
2) There needs to be some pre-work done so the conversation during the actual session can go deeper. Just 3 questions:
a) What is your idea or problem? Explain in 2-3 short paragraphs.
b) What help or advice would you need?
c) Is there a website or deck we can view? Kindly attach/link.
3) We need to make sure we do not have coffee and chips. They do not mix.
4) There needs to be a timer on the table for guidance.
5) There needs to be an FB group page for follow-ups/updating/further sharing.
Who’s got next?
JC, Jode, and Jerome (ohmigosh!), see you this Thursday! It’s going to be fun!
I can’t make it on August 7, but we’ll have the next one on August 14. All 3 slots still open. Do email me to reserve!